Embry Health Molecular Technician in Tempe, Arizona
Performs testing in an accurate and timely manner according to established policies and performance standards with a knowledge level determined for that testing. Responsible for startup, calibration and accuracy of procedures and instrumentation. Exercises independent judgment and can identify appropriate resources in performance of assigned duties utilizing knowledge and skills. Demonstrates comprehension of theory and clinical relevance of testing. Demonstrates problem resolution and decision making skills for routine operational and technical problems. Demonstrates knowledge of computer systems used in the department and can perform basic troubleshooting of computer problems. Demonstrates awareness and complies with accrediting agency and regulatory requirements related to area of responsibility.
Recognizes and ensures validity of abnormal patient and/or QC results for testing. Ensures accuracy of test results. Participates in detecting and documenting occurrences that deviate from defined procedures. Demonstrates appropriate resolution and follow through for problem solving identified during testing. Promotes and consistently meets department standards for productivity and quality.
Ensures the appropriate use of supplies and materials and assists with inventory management. Ensures efficient utilization of reagents and supplies. Recognizes and provides input towards opportunities for improvements in financial performance to decrease costs, improve productivity, and improve service.
Self-directed and motivated to contribute to projects identified by the supervisor, with the completion of a minimum of one project per year. Seeks out opportunities to identify projects relating to department needs. Active in training and competency of laboratory personnel. Performs well in supervisor's absence and provides guidance on issues relating to pre-analytical, waived and non-waived testing. Completes training module for newly hired/transferred personnel.
Communicates courteously, professionally, effectively and accurately with internal and external customers. Participates in the resolution of communication issues. Knows and utilizes appropriate resources for increased levels of problem solving. Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills. Promotes positive communications that enhances teamwork. Attendance and participation at staff meetings.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of principles and techniques of clinical and pathology molecular laboratory testing procedures (i.e. DNA/RNA extraction, DNA/RNA library preparation; NGS, Target amplification, Quantitative PCR/rtPCR, and other molecular techniques).
• Knowledge of human genetics, NGS, and genotyping.
• Knowledge of medical terminology, communicable diseases, and environmental health issues.
• Knowledge of laboratory regulations, including quality control of media, reagents, and equipment, laboratory safety, laboratory documentation requirements, sterilization requirements, and laboratory equipment.
• Knowledge of applicable testing techniques.
• Knowledge of planning, budgeting, quality control, customer service, and supervision.
• Critical Skills
• 4+ yrs. experience in a clinical laboratory setting
• Experience with genetics or molecular biology techniques including DNA and RNA library preparation, Target amplification, and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS).
• Bench skills, including Illumina Workflows (Amplicon, Exome, Targeted RNA, mRNA-Seq, Whole Transcriptome, TargetRich (PGx)
• Prior experience with Illumina NextSeq 500; Illumina MiSeq v2; QuantStudio 3, Tecan Infinite 200 Pro; Agilent Tapestation 2200/4200; Biomek FX; QIAGEN QIACube; Hamilton Star; KingFisher Flex highly preferred
• Prior experience with CLIA/CAP laboratory and/or genetic company is highly preferred.
• Knowledge of HIPAA and laboratory SOPs, regulatory and safety procedures.
• Attention to detail and accuracy are crucial for the position.
• Ability to work independently and also in a collaborative environment.
• Ability to multitask and prioritize laboratory and data analysis tasks.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully complete projects.
• Must have Medical Technologist experience with a preference for generalist experience and/or technical consulting experience
• Expertise in CLIA (federal) regulatory guidelines
• State specific regulatory standards and accreditation organization standards to include COLA and CAP
• Skill in performing molecular laboratory tests (i.e. DNA/RNA extraction, DNA/RNA library preparation; NGS, Target amplification, Quantitative PCR/rtPCR, and other molecular techniques).
• Skill in project planning, laboratory operations, and budgetary control.
• Skill in using computers for database management, testing, and record-keeping functions.
• Experience as a laboratory supervisor, manager or technical consultant desired.
• Ability to communicate appropriately, both orally and written.
• Ability to collaborate effectively with health care team.
• Ability to recognize and resolve hazardous conditions.
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
• Ability to demonstrate full range of motion, manual dexterity, and eye–hand coordination in use of equipment and instruments.
Qualifications & Requirements:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum of 5 years' experience in a high complexity laboratory.
• Knowledge of CAP, CLIA, and other local, state, federal regulations
• Technologist in Molecular Biology, MB (ASCP)
• Special Analyst, Molecular Diagnostics (State of AZ Medical Board)
• Additional related Degrees/Certifications preferred
• Must be willing and able to lift up to 25 pounds.