City of Glendale AZ Service Worker - Signs & Markings in Glendale, Arizona
This is the first level in the Service Worker series. Performs skilled and semi-skilled construction, maintenance, and repair work in the Signs and Markings division.
- Performs skilled and semi-skilled work associated with maintaining pavement markings such as lane lines, crosswalks, stop bars and railroad crossings.
- Performs a variety of skilled and semiskilled work involved in the installation and repair of traffic control, street name signs, and data entry for sign inventory. Fabricates street signs.
- Operates various light, medium, and heavy equipment including long line stripers, truck and trailer, etc.
- Operates various hand and power equipment including drills, pullers, airless paint sprayer, walk behind stripers, thermoplastic applicators and paint obliteration equipment.
- Works independently and exercises independent judgment when planning and coordinating daily schedules, analyzing and interpreting Blue Stake markings for placing, installing and removing traffic signs, etc.
- May provide general direction to other employees and volunteers..
- Explains and enforces rules and regulations pertaining to safety, barricading, direction of traffic, hazardous materials, and operation of equipment.
- Notifies residents and businesses of work being performed; answers questions from citizens.
- Maintains daily work records; may perform some computerized data entry work.
- Transports and sets up supplies and equipment; makes required safety checks.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications & Special Requirements
Two years of experience in construction, maintenance, and repair work including the operation of light, medium and/or heavy equipment in Signs and Marking or related area(s).
Knowledge of: Rules, regulations, policies and procedures relating to area of assignment Materials, tools, equipment, safety hazards and precautions common to the assigned areas of responsibility Hazard, safety rules, precautions related to equipment operation Traffic laws, ordinances, rules and regulations as they relate to equipment operation Street layouts and routes
Ability to: Read and understand blue prints, technical diagrams, and maps Barricade work sites according to the Phoenix barricade manual Understand and follow safe working practices Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing Deal courteously with the public Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and citizens Operate and perform maintenance and minor repair on light, medium, and heavy equipment Perform general maintenance and service requirements of equipment in area of responsibility Understand and carry out oral and written instructions and work independently Accurately and timely complete reports and logs; record daily work activities and enter and retrieve information on computers Identify paint coatings for material and color matching Maintain the appropriate state of Arizona driver license with relevant endorsements. Coordinate hand and eye movements
*Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. *
Applicants will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment and will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing throughout their period of employment in accordance with the City of Glendale Substance Abuse policy. Valid Arizona class D driver license at time of application. Possession of IMSA Work Zone Certification is required within 6 months of hire. Possession of International Municipal Signal Association (IMSA) Signs and Marking Level I certification within one (1) year of hire
Possession of Class B CDL with air brake endorsement within 90 days of hire.
May be subject to call back, stand-by duty and rotating shifts.
Work involves heavy digging, heavy lifting of 50 to 75 pounds, pushing/pulling containers and other objects, extensive walking, bending, standing, lifting, raking and crawling; standing on ladders.
Exposure to heavy traffic, weather extremes; hazardous materials, dust, insects and gases.
Salary: $35,141.00 - $52,712.00 Annually
Location: Glendale, AZ
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: 2020 -02057
Hours per Week: 40
Agency: City of Glendale (AZ)
Address: 5850 W. Glendale Ave. Glendale, Arizona, 85301