Universal Forest Products Yard Manager/ CI specialist in Chandler, Arizona
The Yard Manager is responsible for assisting the GMO in monitoring, managing, and maintaining the plant's overall inventory level to remain consistent with stated turn guidelines, inventory to sales ratio, and costs of goods sold.
Responsible for the implementation and management of the plant’s Continuous Improvement initiative.
Works under general direction of the Plant Manager; exercises discretion and judgment on work priority on a regular basis; and some degree of creativity is expected.
- Assists the GMO in maintaining and managing all inventory levels so the percentage of turns and inventory dollars to sales dollars remain within stated guidelines.
- Assists the GMO in monitoring inventory levels and conditions so the plant does not run out of the necessary raw material.
- Assists the GMO in monitoring, maintaining, and managing all plant purchasing programs.
- Works closely with plant management to determine the inventory needs of the plant and what options may be considered when buying or using existing inventory.
- Assists GMO in buying and manufacturing for margin by understanding current market levels on re-man and species substitution options in relation to end product desired.
- Manages aged inventory and monitors report to create "hit lists" so the Production and Sales Departments are aware of potential inventory problems.
- Works closely with the Sales Department to help address their specific individual needs, make them aware of any inventory problems or concerns, and communicate major market changes as necessary.
- Understands market trends to assist in determining when and what volume to purchase.
- Initiates purchase orders for non-direct orders in the system.
- Follows-up on purchase orders to ensure their on-time arrival. This is to include the tracing of all inbound products (Rail & Truck).
- Follows-up on all receiving claims and ensures they are resolved in a timely manner.
- Monitors all plant inventory offsite locations, and reconcile quarterly.
- Negotiates offsite processing costs and coordinate stock transfer when needed.
- Coordinates with sister plants on team inventory management to rectify over and under stock issues and to maintain inventory at optimal levels.
- Prepares various reports as required.
- Performs other duties as required. *
Establishes and builds the plant’s Continuous Improvement Team
· Manages the activities of the plant’s Continuous Improvement
· Evaluates operations throughout the plant to identify areas of waste and opportunities for improvement.
· Facilitates VSM and Kaizen activities.
· Develops, prioritizes, and implements solutions to reduce waste and improve performance.
· Documents improvements and develops standard work instructions.
· Teaches, coaches, mentors all levels of employees in Continuous Improvement and manufacturing principles.
· Trains employees to identify and eliminate waste.
· Develops and manages programs to foster employee involvement to promote a Continuous Improvement culture.
· Attends seminars, lectures, and training classes on Continuous Improvement and share gained knowledge with plant staff
· Staffs, develops and coaches the production management team, evaluates performance and initiates corrective action as required.
· Prepares regular and special reports as required.
· Performs other duties as required.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled